Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Beauty Process

Today, Pam had us do a writing exercise with only one instruction: tell a story through a list. Well, my list kind of, sort of morphed into a poem. So here you go, my list.



The Beauty Process
Date night.

7pm

Let the process begin!

Wash the body
Shave the legs
Curl the hair
Paint the face.

7:50.

Right leg in, left leg in
Squeeze on the pants
Then search the closet.

Red blouse with buttons
Or the deep blue V-neck?

Put on the red, take off the pants
A skirt for easy access makes more sense.

Stand in front of the mirror
Hand on hip
Purse the lips

No. Try again.

Take off the red.
Put on the blue and look once more,
Wrong again.
Shirt and skirt equals too much skin.
“You idiot, its winter!” my legs cry, “Take it off!”
Right leg in, left leg in
Put on the pants once more.

8:05.

Consider the date: Nighttime. Starbucks. December.
Can’t wear heels, can’t wear sandals.
Flats? Vans? Or boots?
Boots.
Uggs or suede?

Consider the weather:

Sludge.

Uggs.

Right foot in, left foot in.

Accessories.

Studs or chandeliers?
Jeweled bracelets or braided hemp?
From the rainbow of scarves, which one to pick?
Purple.
Gold.
Black and white.
“You fool!” I yell.
“Fuck you,” my closet spits.
Fine then. Purple.

Back to the mirror.

Hat? No hat? Hat? No hat?
I put it on, I take it off. Hat? No hat?
Hat.
8:20.

I sprits perfume.
Wrist, neck, then in front of me and step through the citrus cloud.
I’m early.

Suppress butterflies with a cig,
Prevent babies with a pill,
Kill time with a song.

Pace my room
Smell my breath
Check my mirror
Smooth my hair.

8:30.

Time to leave.

Arrive fashionably late

Receive a hug, a kiss, a gaze, a compliment.

“Oh this?” I ask, “Don’t mention it, I just threw it on.”

“Lies,” my outfit hisses.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, that was awesome!

    "Suppress butterflies with a cig,
    Prevent babies with a pill,
    Kill time with a song."

    I think that was my fav line! I've been keeping up with your blog, sounds like Greece is AMAZING! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thanks! Greece is incredible, every day I see something new or learn something new about myself. I MISS YOU SARA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you feel as though time is in fast forward?? Thanks for sharing this incredible experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all. Actually, I feel like time is creeping by since I never keep my phone or a watch on me so it's nice to be on "Greek time." It's a new kind of freedom which I find very relaxing and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete