Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm the daughter of Poseidon! Watch me make water!

Greece continues to surprise me! The food is never anything less than scrumptious and I am finding myself become a more experienced wine drinker! Last night, my group attended a wine tasting after a day of class on the rooftop with the most gorgeous view of the Parthenon. We tasted 6 different types of wine, 4 white and 2 red and as it turns out, I prefer reds more than white. We coincidingly snacked on meats, cheeses, olives, and bread. Afterwards, the undergrads and a few others traveled to a couple bars, the first of which had the most beautiful, colorful, and extensive liquor collection I had ever seen! We stayed for one drink and then moved onto an outdoor bar/garden. Trees were decorated with twinkling ligthts and i even got to sit on a swing as I enjoyed more white wine and shots of ouzo. We became a group of chatty cathys and a couple hours later, we decided it was time for gellato...which we never got. We ended up at a taverna near our hotel and drank some more ouzo as we chatted with other fellow American college students. Then this morning, we mustered up whatever energy we recovered after a very short night of sleep to pack up our things and leave Athens. A bus picked us up and took us to the pier so we could board the speed runner 4, my very first ferry ride that took us to the island of serifos!! I am staying in a 4 bedroom apartment complete with a balcony and a view of the hills. After settling in, we ventured to the beach and swam in the Mediterranean sea. The water is so clear and beautiful, but colder than I expected. Once we finished enjoying the beach, we walked through the town, got a gyro, and did some grocery shopping as we will be cooking most of our food here on out in our very own kitchens! We then had a poetry reading followed by dinner at a restaurant on the beach. We feasted on Greek salad, tzansiki sauce, fried zucchini, chickapea stew, beef, rice, potatoes, chicken, and then finally grapes soaked in honey for dessert. All of it, delicious!! Now, my friends and I are sitting at the pool side with a gorgeous view of the ocean under our first starry night. The one plus to only having wifi at the pool is forcing me out of my apartment to enjoy the the moon that lights up the night sky. Tomorrow, I am having a short story of mine work shopped by my fiction class after spending the morning learning some more Greek! Kalispera!!

No comments:

Post a Comment