Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Σ'αγαπώ

Kalispera everybody! This week has been pretty busy with reading and writing but I was still able to squeeze in a few Greek adventures! Let's see. Sunday night, my roommates and I went out and had the BEST pizza! We each ordered a different type (Greek, Meat, Veggie, and Bacon) and we were served bread with BUTTER (olive oil is great and all but every now and then the biggest butter craving will set in). From there, we returned to our apartment to find our entire MU seminars group engaging in an outdoor celebration where everyone sat on their balconies and sang, a mixture of songs echoing throughout the courtyard. Monday, my fiction class and I returned to Sikamia to swim and eat lunch where we played 2 truths 1 lie and drunk or child. Needless to say, we had a blast! Tuesday morning, our Greek class walked around the port and our teacher taught us how to read signs that we passed. Because of the extremely hot weather and the extent of how exhausted the other students and I were, she let us out early and we left to get breakfast. Of course, Jack joined us and the tiniest kitten danced around our feet while we ate. For dinner, Craig, his wife Aliki, their daughter and goddaughter invited us up to the Hora where we visited Aliki's home which was 250 years old and used to be a school house! It had white walls, seats carved from stone, and a balcony view that took my breath away. It was extremely windy that night so while we ate dinner, the restaurant howled and whistled while the windows and roof banged. It sounded terrifying but the food made up for any mild discomfort. After dinner, we adventured further up the mountain to have salami cake, or chocolate cake with cookie bits mixed into it. It was my first chocolate cake since being on the island and let me tell you, it was every bit of satisfying and delicious that I ever dreamed of! It was still very windy all day (and all night as my hair keeps blowing in my face while I'm writing this) which made laying out by the pool absolutely perfect! The wind kept us nice and cool against the heavy sun which is turning my skin darker but making my hair lighter! Pretty legit combo if I do say so myself! For dinner, we went down to the taverna and enjoyed Greek salad, saginaki, romethea (chick pea stew), taziki sauce, this olive paste, garlic potatoes, and this cheese/feta pie. We forced ourselves away from further festivities that include Greek dancing lessons so we could study for our Greek exam tomorrow. As much as we should be studying our Greek vocab and phrases, we are all congregated in the courtyard sitting on our laptops. Whoops! Tomorrow, we plan on waking up early to get some fresh bogatsa and hopefully study some more! Kalispera everybody, time for me to be a good student!

No comments:

Post a Comment